In advance of July 4, I thought it would be appropriate to reflect a bit about ourselves, especially what we say...not to them but to ourselves. Our own independence is what drives us.
A recent article by Jeff Haden, Contributor Editor of Inc., titled "11 Phrases Intelligent People Say Every Day (and So Should You), made me pause. Why? Because our thoughts as leaders who empower student-athletes start with our thoughts and actions. As we all think about accomplishment, it sometimes begs for us to shift our perspectives and think about what's important to us...our values.
So, as leaders we want to see opportunity, want choices and options, so we lead with power and commitment.
These 11 phrases from Jeff offer a moment, as I said, to pause, ready them, and decide how they could affect you.
1. "No one else is willing to do that, so that's what I will do."
2. "I will answer the question that wasn't asked."
3. "Hey, that wasn't so bad after all."
4. "I can't do everything today, but I will take one small step."
5. "I should just be quiet."
6. "I won't care what other people may think."
7. "I'll show you."
8. "It's not perfect, and I'm fine with that."
9. "I should have done better."
10. "I will recognize a person who doesn't get enough recognition."
11. "If nothing else, I can always do more."
Happy July 4th!